Thursday, November 12, 2015

Saffron-spiked Moroccan Stew

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - Dinner
Saffron-spiked Moroccan Stew (Recipe from The Vegan Table by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau)


This delicious stew had a great combination of sweet and spicy flavors.  The base of the soup was sweet potatoes, tomatoes, bell peppers, and chickpeas.  It had a variety of seasonings and spices, ranging from cinnamon to cayenne.  I used fresh ginger (after great results in the sweet & sour sauce).  The recipe called for saffron, which I have never used before - I was surprised at how expensive it was!  This pot of stew required $10 worth (about 1/2 teaspoon) of saffron threads, which are the dried stigmas of crocus flowers.  I'd like to make this stew again, because it was very good, but I would probably try it once without the saffron.

The stew was delicious and very filling.  Per the recipe's suggestion, the stew was served over couscous.  I used Moroccan couscous the first day (pictured), and larger tri-color Israeli couscous with the leftovers for lunch the rest of the week.  

If you left out the couscous and chickpeas, this stew would even work for my paleo friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment